Fire Department

Pink Sheet November 2013
Tuesday, Oct. 29th

Well it’s time to get ready for the cooler temperatures ahead. With home heating season upon us there are a few things you can do to improve safety around the house.

  • Have your furnace serviced to make sure it’s operating safely and efficiently.
  • Change your furnace filter. A dirty filter can cause over-heating and create a fire hazard.
  • Keep the area around all heating sources such as furnaces, hot water tanks, and space heaters clear of combustibles including: boxes, paper, draperies, furniture or anything that might catch on fire.
  • Every year extension cords used to power electric space heaters and holiday decorations start fires. Electric heaters require large capacity extension cords. A small gauge cord can overheat and start a fire.
  • Another safety issue that comes to mind is the trip hazard from extension cords. Always keep walkways clear.
  • Don’t forget to put new batteries in your flashlights! This is the time of year when early snowstorms cause power outages.

By now I’m sure everyone has replaced the batteries in their Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide alarms (for those Smoke or CO detectors with replaceable batteries).

From the Gates Mills Fire Department Family to your Family:


Chief Thomas Robinson Send Email
Assistant Fire Chief Tom Majeski
Captain Robert Jamieson
Lieutenant Dave Biggert
Lieutenant Paul Nemastil
Second Lieutenant Daniel Dickson
Second Lieutenant Michael Feig
Second Lieutenant Richard Thompson